WordCamp Ottawa: July 13-14, 2019
This weekend I’m speaking at WordCamp Ottawa 2019 at Carleton University on both days about ‘Baby In The Boardroom’ (20-min Talk on Day 1 at 1:20 p.m.) and Startup Blogging: Using WordPress to validate a business idea, write a book and build community’ (three-hour Workshop on Day 2 at 2:00 p.m.).
Baby In The Boardroom
While I don’t plan to have my children with me for this quick talk, I have delivered two different versions of it before to a CreativeMornings Ottawa crowd while babywearing and following my toddler around and to an audience at Impact Hub Ottawa for the launch of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Knowledge Hub (WEKH).
On both of these occasions, I spoke about ‘Babies, Business + Breakfast: Creating Parent-Friendly Business Spaces + Experiences‘.
Can’t make it to WordCamp Ottawa 2019 but curious to learn more?
My talk is from 5:47 to 12:50 in this CreativeMornings Ottawa video clip:
This edited SoundCloud audio file is just under 8 minutes and contains only my talk:
This SoundCloud audio file is just under 2:30 minutes and contains only my Impact Hub Ottawa talk:
A new topic I will be discussing in a three-hour workshop-style format on Day 2 is ‘Startup Blogging: Using WordPress to validate a business idea, write a book and build community’.
I started this blog in June 2013 while I was living and working in Brisbane, Australia before my husband and I relocated to Europe for a little over three years to live in Ireland and England.
During this time I wrote about travel, life and work as an expat, covering immigration, life admin, settling in, making friends, feeling connected, doing flexible work as a freelancer and remote worker, having a baby abroad in a country where neither my husband and I were from, moving abroad again with a young family, travelling with kids and more.
Along the way, I was–sometimes knowingly, oftentimes not–testing business ideas, writing books and building community.
This entry-level taster of a session will touch on the ways I’ve used WordPress to:
- explore my interests through blogging before and after becoming a parent
- produce original content for almost a decade (I was blogging at another address prior to 2013) and add structure to my creative practice
- build relationships and cultivate a following
- share my message, evolve my brand and position myself
- draft a book and outlines for additional books and courses
- experiment with ideas and validate them in simple and affordable ways
It is designed to help current and aspiring creatives, freelancers, bloggers, remote workers, business owners and side hustlers with limited time.
Attendees will use interactive prompts and activities, leaving with inspiring tips and a practical roadmap to get started on validating their business idea, writing a book and building a community.
This book is based on my journey as a blogger, writer and founder to date.
It’s intended to help you solve real problems, for real people and focuses on:
- designing a blog around your values, interests and time commitments;
- creating content, sharing your ideas and seeking feedback; and
- defining what you offer, your ideal customer and launching your Minimum Viable Product (MVP).
It’s available from Amazon as an eBook, to be delivered on April 24, 2020. The eBook will remain at the special launch price of $2.99 USD* for one month, before going up on May 24, 2020 to $5.99 USD*.
It’s also available from Amazon as a paperback via their print on demand service at the price of $10.99 CAD or $9.99 USD elsewhere*, plus applicable taxes, shipping and handling.
*Amazon marketplace prices vary by your purchase location.
If you’re interested in learning more, I’m in the process of converting it into an online course. Startup Blogging: Validate A Business Idea + Build Your Audience, is an online course to help you get your ideas out of your head and into the world, based on an original three-hour workshop I delivered in 2019.
Interested in booking me (Amy Lynch) for a speaking engagement?
Hiya, my name is Amy and I’m a writer and freelancer focused on travel, international family life, creativity and flexible work.
I am also the founder of ‘Babies, Business + Breakfast‘, a community for parents who want to invest in themselves alongside their loved ones.
As a former expat, I currently live in Ottawa with my young international family, where I offer freelance marketing communications services and advise corporates and individuals on creating child-friendly business spaces and experiences.
Previous speaking experience has included:
- Presenter, ‘Startup Blogging: Using WordPress to validate a business idea, write a book and build community‘ three-hour workshop for WordCamp Ottawa at Carleton University (2019)
- Presenter, ‘Baby In The Boardroom‘ 15-minute Lightning Talk for WordPress WordCamp at Carleton University (2019)
- Presenter, ‘Baby In The Boardroom‘ 5-minute Lightning Talk for the Women’s Entrepreneurship Knowledge Hub (WEKH) Launch in June 2019 at Impact Hub Ottawa (2019)
- Event and Panel Host, ‘How She Built It‘ 60-minute Panel Session at the inaugural Babies, Business + Breakfast Spring Pop-Up Event in Ottawa, Canada (2019)
- Presenter, ‘Baby In The Boardroom‘ 5-minute Lightning Talk at the April 2019 CreativeMornings Ottawa Event (2019)
- Pitching and Presenting as a Participant, Google Campus for Mums Startup School in London, England (2016)
- Presenter, ‘Reconnecting with the Virtual VET Community‘ 45-minute Session at the National VET Conference for Velg Training in Brisbane, Australia (2015)
- Presenter, ‘Get Social in VET‘ Webinar Series of 45-minute sessions and 90-minute Conference Master Class at the National VET Conference for Velg Training in Brisbane, Australia (2012 – 2013)
- Pitching and Presenting to Prospective Clients and Customers, Advisors, Mentors, Accelerators to validate business ideas (2006 – 2020)
I can present to your audience in-house or virtually and am willing to travel, depending on the opportunity.
I love meeting new people, sharing my experiences and encouraging others to explore their potential. My areas of expertise are marketing communications, flexible and remote work, parent-friendly corporate spaces and experiences, travel and expat life.
Please get in touch to discuss your event requirements:
Get the FREE Babies + Business Mini Guide
Download my FREE Babies + Business Mini Guide To Navigating The Corporate Jungle (With Kids), to encourage parents to explore more, invest in themselves alongside their children, take up space and make room for positive change when it comes to the future of work.