I’ll be the first to admit it wasn’t what I had originally planned to write about and the time in which it’s being delivered has been unpredictable.
But, as with children, creative ideas have a funny way of making themselves known, making you stop what you’re doing and pay attention.
It all started with you being interested in my story, so THANK YOU for reading.
I began writing a very different book way back in 2016 when I was pregnant with our first child, which took me down the path of validating a very different business idea alongside a newborn, while we lived in London, England. When we relocated to Ottawa, Canada, I gradually realized my original idea wasn’t the problem I was meant to solve.
Instead, it was the one I kept facing time and time again when I entered corporate and startup business settings to pitch, attend workshops and network: a lack of inclusive spaces and programming for people who are also parents.
Instead of opting out, I kept showing up
(with my first and second kids of course)
and started writing, speaking and actually doing something about it.
What started as an online expat travel diary and a means for me to remain connected with family and friends abroad, turned into:
- media requests;
- guest speaking opportunities;
- connecting with strangers;
- advocating for issues I’m passionate about;
- validating business ideas;
- creating a growing community; and
- making a positive impact.
This is the magic of getting your ideas out of your head and into the world!
Startup Blogging: Validate A Business Idea and Build Your Audience is based on my journey as a blogger, writer, founder and parent to date.
It’s intended to help you solve real problems, for real people and focuses on:
- designing a blog around your values, interests and time commitments;
- creating content, sharing your ideas and seeking feedback; and
- defining what you offer, your ideal customer and launching your Minimum Viable Product (MVP).
It’s available from Amazon as an eBook, to be delivered on April 24, 2020. The eBook will remain at the special launch price of $2.99 USD* for one month, before going up on May 24, 2020 to $5.99 USD*.
It’s also available from Amazon as a paperback via their print on demand service at the price of $10.99 CAD or $9.99 USD elsewhere*, plus applicable taxes, shipping and handling.
*Amazon marketplace prices vary by your purchase location.
Feedback on Startup Blogging:
Part of the contents of this book were originally created and delivered by me as a conference workshop for an event in 2019.
The content has been carefully edited to focus on making it more digestible and actionable, encouraging you to startup blogging now and test your ideas over the coming months.
“I liked that the focus was on organic development of community and ideas instead of just social media marketing. I also like the periodic questions to consider what I wanted to do with the information.”
“Enjoyed the ideas for how to share your message or find out what resonates with people.”
“I love Amy’s generosity with sharing her knowledge and experience. Really great session.”
“Lots of useful ideas for starting and growing an audience.”
“(I enjoyed) the personal experiences of the presenter, interaction with audience, resource materials and focus on doing things for passion rather than just for money.”
“The topic is very interesting and well presented.”
Life in 2020: Working alongside two kids under age four during a global pandemic
I’m in the process of converting it into an online course but to be honest, with two kids under age four at home with me full-time for the foreseeable future, I can’t be arsed to record video right now!
Writing this in the form of a workshop, course and now a book, has involved lots of mindset work, productivity hacks, small, consistent steps and my children throwing the doors to our home office open about 4,305 times to try and steal my mouse as I typed, formatted, proofread and uploaded.
But it’s published–all because I started small–and I’m hoping it encourages others to do the same.
Thanks for reading this whole post and for following my blogging journey so far.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch via the comments below or email: contact[at]amymaureenlynch.com if you have feedback or questions.
Best wishes always,
– Amy (+ Family)
I have also created a few additional digital resources to help you navigate the future of flexible work:
- FREE Work From Home (WFH) Time Blocking Made Easy Template to help you structure your days and avoid overwhelm, using a customizable Google Sheet;
- FREE Babies + Business Mini Guide To Navigating The Corporate Jungle (With Kids) written from the perspective of a parent (me) who has brought her young children into dozens of business settings from the age of four weeks old onward, in two different countries;
- FREE Startup Blogging: Validate A Business Idea and Build Your Audience resources and templates to help you work through the exercises and action items mentioned in the book; and
- (in progress) Startup Blogging: Validate A Business Idea + Build Your Audience, an online course to help you get your ideas out of your head and into the world, based on an original three-hour workshop I delivered in 2019.