I’ve thinking a lot lately of how I can help others, from my home, while looking after two kids under the age of four.
I had mapped out a course after our second kid was born in 2018 all about flexible work and in particular, working remotely. But life happened, I always have a lot of creative projects on the go and to be honest, I wasn’t sure if people would be keen.
You see, it wasn’t a course designed for people looking to do shorter gigs, base themselves on an island or travel the world full-time.
It was based on my experience over the past decade doing freelance and flexible work contracts, outsourcing parts of my job to myself as an employee and negotiating remote work arrangements, without the guidance of someone who had done it before showing me the way.
While some of my remote work time was spent travelling, the more important motivations for me were:
- flexibility (with a different passport to my husband and immigration restrictions, I wanted a job I could do wherever we ended up in the world)
- financial stability (recurring revenue from reliable sources I had already built trustworthy relationships with)
- freedom (I often had complete autonomy around my hours and places of work, which enabled me to be present for important family and friend milestones and work from bed while very sick during ALL of my pregnancies)
It wasn’t always sexy, I never logged on from Bali and I spent a good chunk of it using our kitchen countertop with a shoebox as an alternative to a standing desk. 🤣
I understand many people have already made the short-term transition to remote work this month, the economy is in flux and job losses are increasing by the day, during this time of global change.
This week I rewrote a more current version of my online course because I want to be sensitive to the times we’re living through, while inspiring you to think of the potential for a longer term flexible work arrangement to be your new normal.
Remote work is not for everyone but for those who are interested, you can access my free five-day online course via this link: bit.ly/GoRemoteFreeCourse
I have also created a few additional digital resources to help you navigate the future of flexible work:
- FREE Work From Home (WFH) Time Blocking Made Easy Template to help you structure your days and avoid overwhelm, using a customizable Google Sheet;
- FREE Babies + Business Mini Guide To Navigating The Corporate Jungle (With Kids) written from the perspective of a parent (me) who has brought her young children into dozens of business settings from the age of four weeks old onward, in two different countries; and
- (in progress) Startup Blogging: Validate A Business Idea + Build Your Audience, an online course to help you get your ideas out of your head and into the world, based on an original three-hour workshop I delivered in 2019.
Thinking of you all, thanks for reading.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch via the comments below or email: contact[at]amymaureenlynch.com if you have feedback or questions.
Best wishes always,
– Amy (+ Family)