Remote work with kids on a compressed schedule
A group for freelancing parents I’m in recently had a question pop up in regards to transitioning to more work hours as the kids go back to school / daycare.
It’s something I’ve experienced many times as a remote worker, between contracts, lockdowns and the yo-yo effect of it all but the advice I gave also applies to those without kids.
These are the basic things I try to incorporate into my everyday, in order to make flexible work more efficient (and enjoyable!):
– I use time blocking and have created a free template with a how-to video if you’re keen on downloading it for your own work or homeschool schedule (kid-friendly)
– I set up calendar invites for my partner and I with notifications and an alarm for pickup especially if I’m out running errands
– Lately I also prep the last 10-15 mins before I leave by getting my stuff ready and bringing a snack for them on the drive home so there’s less chaos when we all land there
– Turn my phone on airplane mode or silent for chunks of the day if / when I can
– I don’t answer calls from friends and family who assume I have free time now
– Focus on doing what I want to do and set good boundaries with clients / coworkers / friends / family now, so I don’t have to have awkward conversations later
– Also, take away, go out for or make a nice child free lunch for myself and enjoy it solo or with a friend…chew slowly and enjoy not having to share or cut up my meal into tiny pieces.
How about you? Any tips for making the adjustment to a more ‘open’ schedule while also pacing yourself in the event of interruptions or distractions?
– Amy (+ Family) xx
Founder of Mixing Babies And Business™
Looking for more info about Flexible + Remote Work?
I’ve steadily chugged along to 31 episodes of the Mixing Babies And Business™ Podcast (hosted and produced by me, Amy Lynch, from my home during the pandemic).
Download the free template:
Remote Work (With Kids) Time Blocking Made Easy [DOWNLOAD]
Subscribe to receive my free monthly Work + Life newsletter focused on travel, international family life, creativity and flexible work: http://bit.ly/AmyMaureenLynchNews
I wrote a book:
Startup Blogging: Validate A Business Idea and Build Your Audience is based on my journey as a blogger, writer, founder and parent to date.
You can then purchase, download and read the eBook version of my book from your mobile, tablet or device!